Friday 24 June 2011

Why am I here?

There are more places on the internet writing about how people make and invest money than there are stars in the night sky.

Consumers look for good deals on car insurance and mortgage rates, they advance their careers and work hard for more money and they spend it wisely. Some do the complete opposite.
Investors analyse balance sheets, look at P/E ratios, analyse candlestick charts, moving averages, go with their instincts or merely flip coins.
Governments balance imports and exports, hedge currencies, impose tariffs, undermine foreign markets or spend money purely to gain votes.

What about the multitude of ways of making money for those with different ideals and morals? What about those living on the fringes of society? I'm not just referring to the illegal schemes but also the immoral, the distasteful, the risky, the unorthodox and the taboo.

Let's quickly talk about me.I am reasonably well educated.
I have a reasonable job working 9-5 for reasonable pay.
Looking at me in a line-up you would say I am very average.

However, those who know me well know I have an interest for the weird ways the financial world revolves. I wouldn't call it an entrepreneurial streak as I've never taken my own money, found a solid product, set up a shop and sold it.

A childhood interest for puzzles and mental games has been subverted along the way of an inquisitive adolescence and eye-opening career into a lust for finding loopholes and making easy money where I can. I have no desire to spend my days working tirelessly in an office, as I'm sure you don't.

I have bought and sold 'immoral' and 'unusual' (but legal) things, performed distasteful jobs, saved honestly, exploited contracts and offers, played skill games for money, invested soundly and found (legal) tax loopholes. Anything to reduce the hours spent wasting away in an air-conditioned, poorly lit cubicle and increase the hours of freedom.

I have also spotted or conceived other opportunities that my conscience stops me
from carrying out (and I encourage you not to do anything illegal, life's too short).

One fact that is consistent with all these activities is they have fascinated me and opened my eyes to the weird and wonderful ways that people make money and often their living. The stereotypically boring world of accountants and investing is a fascinating place once you peel back the façade.

I hope by writing about these intriguing deals, investments, scams and events that they will fascinate you too and may even inspire you to riches.

DM.

No comments:

Post a Comment